Friday, January 27, 2012

part 96, or "motherfucker is a real word"


The shock of coming to terms with my mom and what she has done is starting to wear off. I mean, I was never overly joyous about it, but I'm beginning to feel this sharp pain in my heart instead of just being bummed.



I use this analogy a lot, so sorry if you've heard it before and are bored by it, you can just click that little x in the top right hand corner of your screen.



(it seems I'm a little fussy, too)



I was pitching in a softball game for my P.E. class in high school when this guy hit a line drive into the middle section of the left side of my ribcage. I blacked out, but I didn't pass out. I knew I was going to fall, so I just focused on not ending up with my face in the ground because I thought it would be embarrassing (yes, that's actually what I was thinking at that time - high school. I don't miss it at all).



Anyway, I ended up on my knees and when I started to get my vision back the pain stabbed me in my ribs. I couldn't breathe or talk for a few seconds, but those abilities came back pretty quickly. I stood up slowly and looked down at my arms. My left arm was curled tight against my middle where the ball hit me, but my left glove was also there, and it had the softball in it, which made me feel a little better about the pain, but it still hurt like a motherfucker.



You know, I start with these analogies, and I think I have them all planned in my head before I start writing, but then I start to piece it all together as I'm writing, and it unintentionally turns out being some uber-cliché life lesson.



The whole reason I was telling the story about getting hit by that ball was because that is how I am feeling when I think about my mom. The straight, direct hit to my chest, the fading out of what was happening, and the falling on my knees, and the sharp pain stabbing me. That's what it's like.



But then when I got to the part in the story about not falling on my face, about getting back up, and about realizing I got that line-driving bastard out by holding onto the ball even though I was not aware of it, I was all like - "hey, wait - that also is analogous to my experiences throughout my life," and then I was like, "man, I hate that cheesy shit," and then I rolled my eyes and groaned on the inside.



I am a bit bummed that it turned out that way. The physical feeling of being hit by that ball really is so much how I'm feeling about my mom, but it’s a nice tidy lesson about getting back up when I'm down, and I really hate clichés. But there you have it.



I've pretty much been avoiding the mom pain by looking straight through it and out the other side. Doing that works for a while, but I don't want to see things through the mom pain, I want to see things through my own eyes.



At my last therapy session, I said something about the mom pain and my therapist said, "it's really deep, isn't it?" I looked at her and said, "mmhm" because it's true, but I didn't feel like elaborating so I just stared off for a few seconds and though about the giant version of the biggest knife in the butcher block aimed at me, the very tip already poking through my shirt and pressing against my skin, and anticipated how it was going to feel as it went through my chest and knowing it was my mom shoving it in.



And then I said, "but we don't have to talk about that right now," and my therapist said, "okay." She's awesome. So I put my mom back in her box in my head and put the lid on it. I told my therapist that I would be okay putting it off for now, since it's not a brand new box - those are the ones that knock me off my ass, but this wasn't a new box, and then I thought about how I felt when I first realized that box existed, and I couldn't remember, and my therapist said that box has always been there, and I just nodded my head because I didn't feel like saying anything at all.

No comments: