Friday, May 4, 2012

part 105, or "rest in peace, sweet beastie boy"


So Adam Yauch died. I am kind of surprised at the level of my shock and sadness about his passing…but I guess not really. Beastie Boys have been intertwined with my life for over 20 years. They started out as these raunchy little punk-ass bitches, and then really grew into themselves. You know, like me.

I really am thrown off about this. I have been knocked back to younger days, from the crippling disaster of junior high school (Paul’s Boutique), through not graduating from high school (Check Your Head), through the pregnancy and infancy of my first baby (Ill Communication), to wrapping up the emotional hurricane that was me in my 20’s (Hello Nasty).

When I saw an article about the Beastie Boys Anthology, I was all like, “what?” Aren’t anthologies only for old people? Then I was like, “oh,” because it made me realize how much of kid I’m not anymore, and so am legitimately privy to anthologies. When Jonny got it for me, I was very excited. I really loved reading all of the different accounts of what each song meant to each of those guys. I guess when I know what something means to someone else, it kind of bonds them to me – it’s so simple and human to have something mean something to me, and I have that connection with other people I learn about, even when I am certain our paths will never cross.

When Hot Sauce Committee Part Two came out, I realized I hadn’t really listened to any new Beastie Boys in years. It reminded me again of how much people can change, like living different lifetimes over the course of thirty years. Thirty years really is not a long time, but people are so malleable and mercurial (triple points for the correct application of two fancy words in one sentence) that we truly evolve (as opposed to getting old) from the time we are born, and depending on what kind of people we are, even to beyond our deaths.

I’ve been thinking about how the traditional concept of death involves so many bad things. Violence and blood and pain and tragedy and loss and evil and dark; I just don’t feel like that is what death is about. Maybe I am just getting older and less naïve (or more naïve) about it all, but I really associate comfort and peace with death.

No matter how shitty anyone’s life has been, you get to rest when it’s over. It’s a light at the end of a tunnel, offering up hope because when you’re dead, you don’t hurt anymore.

I suppose I’ve been writing a lot about death, and maybe I have an affliction from it. I don’t know, but it’s nothing new – I guess recently I am just getting more comfortable with thinking and writing and talking about it. I feel like it is alarming to people, my fixation on death. Which people, I don’t know, but I feel like I have to not talk about death so much because I will have to convince people that I’m not going to off myself.

Not any time soon, anyway. One thing I have been really fearing the past year or so is aging to the point that I am unable to care for myself. The idea of anyone wiping my own shit off of my own very white, very wrinkled, and very incapable-of-making-it-to-a-toilet ass, scares the bejesus out of me.

I feel so much shame at the idea of someone other than myself being that intimate with parts of my body that I still feel unfamiliar with as an adult. I suppose that’s something to bring up in therapy…

There’s that old fish guy on Spongebob Squarepants who is always going around saying, “I don’t want to be a burden,” and I suppose it’s funny because it realistically parallels life, and I don’t think it is funny now, but I almost pissed myself laughing the first time I saw that old fish guy saying that. I can’t stand the idea that I will one day be the old fish guy who is largely ignored, but still manages to be a pain in the ass, and is constantly pondering the fact that they are still alive.

The phrase “I ain’t goin out like that” is what I hear in my head when I think about my mind and body getting to a certain point of decay. I think it’s a gangster or cowboy thing, that phrase, and I am not a gangster or a cowboy, but it’s such a succinct and perfect phrase to characterize how I feel about getting old.

I also roll around the phrase “I ain’t goin out like no punk bitch,” which is a line from a House of Pain song, and those guys aren’t gangsters or cowboys, either, so I guess that phrase would be more apt to apply to me, but it has too many words. “I ain’t goin out like that” is definitely how I feel about getting old.

What I’m really concerned with is my mind. My mind is not in the best condition for someone who is only 35 years old. It’s cognitively a bit fucked, and that’s not going to get any better as I get older. Part of my brain is already the soup of dementia from all of the trauma I’ve experienced. I seriously don’t think I will be able to safely drive a car by the time I’m 50.

I don’t fear getting older so much as I fear the cognitive deterioration, having to live with the not knowing – is this real? Am I supposed to be here? Am I doing something wildly inappropriate? Are people staring at me like I’m a total freak? What exactly was it that I was doing anyway? Is it really right now, or some time in the past and I’m thinking of the future and that’s how I got here?

The not knowing is a heinous, motherfucking nightmare, and I’m not going back to that place in my mind. I’ve spent most of my life there, asking myself those questions over and over again, and not knowing the answers, and I am simply NOT. GOING. BACK.

Sigh.

I will be impressed if I make it to 65 with my right mind still intact. I’ve been impressed at how I made it to 35 and have never been in a straightjacket, so … who the hell knows? I don’t have to think about it now, though. Now I am trying to just concentrate on being alive, and being right here right now.

I’ve actually gotten really good at that, but sometimes when someone dies, I get to thinking about getting old and decrepit. I know I am going to die. I know everyone I love and care about is going to die. I know people will miss me when I’m gone, and I already miss people who are already gone.

I have figured out though, if I think about what I’ve been through and where I am now – my experiences, my intentions, my best at doing the best I can – I find my life is really very substantial, at least enough to know that dying doesn’t scare me any more than living does, and I’m going to be okay.

No comments: