Saturday, June 30, 2012

part 117, or "stay gold, ponyboy"


Sometimes it just hurts so bad. It’s not an ache, or anything sharp, it’s just hurting.

I watched the movie Matilda today. I had never seen it before. It was just like me. Except Matilda had a much better head on her shoulders than I ever did as a child.

She looks just like my niece (the girl who plays Matilda). So does Suri Cruise. So do I. I miss her, really a lot. Its one of the bad things that come from making a decision like I did – I had a lot of really bad family, but they weren’t all bad, or even bad all the time.

I miss moments, like my mom and my sister and I all laughing. It is true I never felt completely comfortable around either one of them, and they seemed to sort of fuse together when we were all there, so that I still felt on the outside. And I know that my sister thinks I’m crazy or whatever, and that I’ve done horrible things to my mom and our family – and to her, and her girls. And I know that it’s better this way.

But as much as I remember hating and resenting and fearing my sister, I just miss her, too. Not so much my brother – it will probably take more than a year of not having anything to do with him before I start to miss him.

I wish they would believe me. I know that it is not the way things really are, but I wish so much that they could see me like who I am, and not like the picture that my parents always painted of me. There was A LOT of fighting, too – yelling and screaming and pulling hair and taking each other’s things – all three of us (my sister and brother and I) were awful to each other, and as much as I have felt my shame in all of that slipping away, I remember even more of how they treated me, too. It wasn’t just all me – and I feel like I should be mad and resentful towards them, but it is really just more hurting right now than any of that.

We were all in it together. I may have been hurt more, or exposed to more, or hated more, but all three of us were in it together. At least when we were really little. I remember that my dad would leave us in the van for long periods of time while he went into whatever building we were at so he could do whatever it was he was doing, and I don’t know how we did not kill each other.

I remember being isolated with them a lot – with my brother and sister – but I don’t remember ever fighting with either of them when were all left on our own in the same place, on the same level, by the same dad and the same mom.

I really, seriously do not ever remember getting along with them very well, either. Maybe I have just gotten to the point where I am remembering what it felt like to be attached to them on a primal level, as siblings. As people who had to get along because we would die if we didn’t.

We were hurt a lot together. I wonder if they remember any of that. I don’t think they do, but it seems like just being one year younger than me, my sister’s memories wouldn’t be too different from mine. I don’t know what the hell my brother’s memories are of – he probably has a mix of exultation and misery. Actually, I think all three of us share that. I was just more familiar with my sister’s exultation and misery because her exultation was almost always at my expense, and when she was miserable, it was okay because then she was being the bad kid.

One time my dad told her he was going to take her to the hospital to get the whine cut out. We all believed him. She would get rather terrified, and by then I would have kicked in to protective mode and tried to get her to just stop so they didn’t cut her throat open and remove the whine from her body. I wonder if either of them – my brother or my sister – remember how much I loved them and wanted to protect them.

Maybe they just remember me being mean and a bully, but they didn’t understand the things that could happen to them like I did.

Anyway, I remember being very protective of them, especially when we were really little, like all under the age of 7. Bad things happened to all of us, but I don’t think they remember much of that, if anything at all.

I think I am totally okay with them not remembering, and with being the one who got hurt the most, because imagining them having to live through what I’ve lived through, and go through what I’ve gone through just to keep living some more, it scared the ever-lovin-shit out of me. Their fear terrifies me – it always has.

I made my brother and sister mad a lot. I beat up on my brother a lot, and told my sister what to do a lot. But I could never handle seeing terror on their faces.

The idea of being separated from them used to scare the shit out of me, too. Not because I wanted to be around them, but because they needed me to protect them.

And then we were just all awful to each other, more and more as we got older. I do wonder if they will ever understand what I went through to keep them as safe as I could, when even I didn’t understand what I was doing. I hated it when my dad paid any attention to them, and I always whined and was obnoxious when he was paying attention to them and not to me. It wasn’t that I wanted his attention so much as it was knowing his attention on them put them in danger.

Jesus fucking christ – that man was an evil, sick, SICK bastard, and I don’t know if my sister and brother are even aware of just how sick and evil he was, even now after so much shit has come out in the open about him. I don’t think they could really know what I know about him, and about all the things that he could have done to them.

I suppose that would have been one more very deeply entrenched reason I was always so hateful and resentful toward them as we got older. They didn’t know what I had to go through, and they had no idea how much I truly believed I was taking on to keep it from happening to them.

Whatever. I’m tired of thinking about it. I just stopped crying, too, so no proof-reading on this one, I’m just going to post it; please forgive typos and disjointed thoughts or words.

It just hurts so fucking bad sometimes.

No comments: