Friday, December 16, 2011

part 92, or, "i'm not that scared of you anymore, but you can still go to hell"


The hearing on the temporary protective order against my mom was this week. I was very, very, very nervous because she had gotten so huge and terrifying in my head. It was the same way with my dad when I first started remembering all of his abuse, too. It took me a really long time to get my dad back down to size in my mind, but it didn't take that long with my mom.

I hadn't seen her since I was able to get out of her mind-fucking web, and I felt like she would be able to mess with my head in some way I couldn't protect myself from. But she wasn't, and now she's back down to her regular size. A smaller size, actually, because I am looking at what she is, and not at the person I desperately needed to be my mom.

Jonny and one of my best friends were there, and I very literally don't think I could have gotten through it without them. My mom had a lawyer, my brother came from out of state to be there, and my uncle was also there. I was very sad to see my uncle - we have a lot in common, and I felt that he might not get caught up in all of the dramatic bullshit, but there he was.

The last few times I had spoken with my uncle were, I felt, good conversations, and I was relieved that he still wanted to have a relationship with me and my family. The last conversation with him though, started off strangely, and I got the impression that he thought I was drinking again. I told him I had four years clean and sober this past August, and I have been clean and sober since then.

I can see that my mom (and/or my brother and sister) would suggest that I was drinking again to make me look like I was more of a threat to her, and also to discount my credibility. My mom exaggerates a lot - A LOT - and it isn't difficult to imagine her exaggerating the possibility that I might be drinking again into a fact that I was actually drinking again. Bitch.

Her exaggerations are one of the good reasons I don't have a relationship with her any more - I don't have to deal with her twisted bullshit. I don't have to deal with my brother and sister anymore, either, and don't have the stress of trying to convince myself that I actually like them.

I've come to like some things about them over the last few years, but the truth is I really don't like either one of them. My sister is terribly pious. She acts like a little piece of her soul dies whenever I say the word "fuck" in front her.

My brother is just an ass. Seriously.

The last time I spoke with him, I used the word "placating" - I repeated it three times before I figured out he didn't know that word. I know a lot of words (I'm not being sarcastic - my vocabulary is stupendous), so when I use words other people don't know, I can usually just say other, more common words that mean the same thing, and that's what I did when I used the word "placating" with my brother.

He used the word "placating" in one of the emails he sent me after that. I wonder if he remembered that he heard that word from me - I don't think he did. I'm pretty sure if I asked him, he would deny ever not knowing the word, and that I am just making that up to be a manipulative bitch.

Until the past couple of weeks, I hadn't realized how much time my brother thinks I dedicate to plotting evil things against him. He really actually believes that things I did years or months ago were to set him up to make him look bad now.

If he cared about me the way he swears he does, he would have picked up on the fact that I can't plot things - I actually am not capable of forming a plot and remembering all of the steps in it to the end. I've tried. I do not have the mental capacity - I'm not exaggerating - I actually do not have the mental capacity, as in, my brain doesn't work right. I've always been like that. It's the same thing with math.

It's because of all the trauma - I have actual brain damage.

Anyway.

I feel like this post is a big bitch-fest to antagonize my mom and sister and brother. I'm okay with that. I really just wanted to write about the hearing, though.

The judge ended up not instating an extended or permanent protective order, but I got on the stand to testify, and he kept asking me questions, and I told him (and the world - it was a public hearing) everything. I mean EVERYTHING. I told him about the two big things I haven’t been okay writing about in this blog. After telling the judge all of that, in a public, recorded hearing, I'm reconsidering sharing those two big things here.

Hmm. Its definitely something I will think about doing, but that is not the kind of thing I would do without first consulting my husband and my therapist - it's very, very, very, very fucked up shit. It’s the kind of shit that once its out of the bag, it changes your life forever. It's pretty intense.

It felt sooooo good saying all of that at the hearing, though. It felt safe. Even with my mom sitting right in front of me, I felt safe saying it all out loud. So I did. I didn't even care if the judge thought I was crazy - I mean, what the hell did I have to lose? Only the opportunity to feel safe enough to say those things out loud to the whole world. So that's what I did.

I kind of felt like a little kid FINALLY finding someone who would hear what I had to say, and who thought those things were just as terrible as I did.

It is NOT how I expected that hearing to go, but I'm glad it went the way it did. Even though I didn't get another order of protection against my mom, I feel like she takes me seriously now. I'm hoping that will be enough to keep her from trying to contact me or my family.

I guess we'll see.

No comments: