Tuesday, December 27, 2011

part 93, or "it really, really sucks to be able to feel so much"


I left my house today. I really thought this was a sleep-and-eat-all-day-in-my-jammies kind of day, but I had really, really, really real and extended flashbacks from some of the violence I experienced when I was little. It really shook me up.



I have been having increasingly intrusive and graphic images in my head for about the past month, so when I found myself with three hours at home with no one else there, I slipped into the remembering.



I didn't do it on purpose, but once I was aware of the opportunity I had to experience things in a safe place with absolutely no one else around, I started to let the images hang around my consciousness instead of immediately filing them in their box to save for later.



I feel kind of stunted writing right now, but I really wanted to write about what happened today. It sucked.



One of the things I haven't talked about on this blog is that my dad did things to other people. Really bad things. A lot of times he would have me along to participate and/or watch. It was very important to him that I be exposed to these types of things, I guess as part of his "training" of me. Shit like that really reinforced the notion that the two of us were isolated demigods living among fools.



The time I was remembering today happened when I was 8. On my birthday, actually. My dad brought me with him to participate in this very bad thing he did to someone as my birthday present. That's what he told me when I was not enthusiastic about participating, so that I would feel guilty that he went through all of this trouble to give me this opportunity to participate in the very bad things, and I wouldn't even make any effort to do it.



I have been told that the things I did under orders from my dad are not my fault. Sometimes I believe that.



When I see an eight year old little girl, I couldn't imagine blaming her if she did the things I did when I was eight years old. But I remember it so well, and it felt like I was deciding to do it before I did it, so how could I not believe it was my fault?



I saw a tv crime procedural the other day, and the subject of this particular episode had dissociative identity disorder, and several of her alters were shown throughout the show. I've seen "The Three Faces of Eve," and I've seen "Sybil," but this depiction I saw the other day of someone with D.I.D. was much more personal to me.



When the character in the show transitioned among her alters, no one made any hype about it. There wasn't any super-dramatic background music, or artfully composed camera shots. At least I didn't notice them.



I saw the movie with Edward Norton where he pretends to have d.i.d. in order to back an insanity plea in a murder case. I saw it years ago, but I have never forgotten the moment when the camera catches Norton's expression at the moment it is revealed that he was faking it. It made me nauseous. He is a really creepy guy, which is not relevant here, but I still had to say it.



Anyway, the procedural I was watching the other day did not seem nearly as hyped and dramatic as the Ed Norton movie (I would tell you the name of it, but I don't really have a very good memory for that type of information). It just felt like this is what this girl is experiencing, and it is accepted immediately by the main players, and there is no debate about whether d.i.d. is even real, and they just worked with her d.i.d.



I saw the way the girl's face changed when she transitioned between alters (alters are the separate "personalities" within one person, just in case you didn't know), and I knew how that felt. I could just feel what it feels like to transition alters.



But I don't have d.i.d.



I only have one me, but there are different faces I put on for different situations. Not like smiling or frowning, but feeling my entire body and mind and heart slip into this callous and cold person that I remember being a lot when I experienced the violence against other people.



I also experienced it a lot when I lived in my car, and when I was doing meth and all that, too.



I don't stay like that anymore. For most of my life, the change into the girl with no feelings and no expression and no empathy and no sense of self-preservation was very common, and really actually constant for long periods of time (like days or weeks - maybe even months). I haven't been back into that face since I went to the hospital over four years ago.



But having these very vivid and drawn-out flash backs (lasting about 3-5 minutes instead of the usual 1-3 seconds) today has reminded me what it felt like to slip into that mode.



I was capable of anything in that mode. I have done very bad things to people. It was always at the great persuasion of my dad, but he was good at provoking me into that mode so that I was removed enough in my mind from what was actually happening to actually do very bad things to people.



But I remember it so well.



I think I have been very much deflecting the guilt and shame I feel about what happened to those people; about what my dad did, and what I did. I have gotten to a point where I can have a settled notion that none of it was my fault.



But the guilt and shame haven't gone away. I just hide them better now, I guess.



Today though, I let them come out for a bit, and I was having these long flashbacks about things I vividly remember doing, and vividly remember slipping into that distanced mode and staying there while I did the very bad things, and not coming out of that mode for days.



But that's not what I was feeling when I was remembering today. I was feeling shock and horror (that song, "shock, shock, horror, horror" started to play in my head) and revulsion and something between choking and throwing up. I was reacting to what happened like someone who didn't have the distanced mode would react. I was horrified.



My face was twitching and contorting, and my arms and legs and hands and feet were having twitching things, too, and every now and then I would stop and think about what I must look like and feel stupid, and try to stop all of the twitching, but it would keep coming back without me even realizing it again. This is actually why I won't do any remembering in front of anyone else - I can't handle the idea that someone would see me being all twitchy.



When I called the time-out on the remembering - when I told myself that it was enough, and that I don't have to stay there (in the memory) anymore - I was lying down on my bed. I realized I had tears on my face. It was so weird - I didn't even know I had been crying. But feeling them on my face was comforting, because I hurt so badly when I was remembering things.



The pain of remembering doing very bad things to people was sincere, and I was relieved that I was crying because I did not cry when the very bad things actually happened. I didn't feel so much guilt and shame today either, but I felt so, so sad for the little girl I was and the people who were being hurt.



I don't know - I think the way they handled that girl's multiple identities on that show made me realize that, deep down, I have been broken in so many ways, and I wasn't the one who did the breaking. The shattered pieces of who I always believed I am are evidence that I am not that cold and callous bitch who can hurt people and not even feel bad about it. I figure that if I was truly was that bad person, there wouldn’t be shattered fragments - there would just be one single blob of pulsating hate driving me.



Before today, I had not been able to remember what I did without getting the perspective of my age at that time straightened out. I may have been eight when this particular thing happened, but I'm 35 now and remembering it like it just happened a few seconds ago - it's hard to get that age thing in context. But I am glad I was able to do that, even though it was only just a little bit.



I keep expecting the remembering to push me back into the guilt and shame, but so far that has been stopped by the knowledge that I am someone who cries real tears when someone else is hurting, even if I am the one doing the hurting. My dad couldn't do that. He was not someone who could do that.



I'm starting to realize more and more that my mom is not someone who could do that, either.



I'm proud of myself recognizing that I spent enough time remembering, and that it would help a lot if I left the house for a little bit; got out into the air and breathed it in and out, and saw other human beings. It did take me about an hour to get out the door, because I really felt like I needed to be wearing a hat, but every hat I found made me look like a crazy person, so I eventually went without a hat.



I'm exhausted - I'm going to go eat some of my Christmas chocolate and watch inconsequential television shows.
A

No comments: